After listening to the news tonight I couldn’t decide if Hillary Clinton walked on water or was a wolf in sheep’s clothing. It seemed to be a toss up.
On Thursday, October 22, 2015, Hillary Clinton faced questioning from the Benghazi Committee regarding the part her office played in the outcome of the attack on our Embassy in Libya in 2012. Hillary Clinton agreed to the questioning under the stipulation that it would not include any references to her use of a private server while Secretary of State as that matter is currently under FBI investigation.
The mainstream media has applauded Secretary Clinton as being victorious over what they called a Republican witch hunt. The American people heard and saw the snippets the media chose to show them. This is true whether it is a cable channel or local news. Unfortunately for Americans we often only get the version of the story the media outlet we are watching wishes us to get. Thus, for the purpose of fairness I decided to watch the entire eleven hours because I wanted to make up my own mind and decide for myself what the truth was.
I have listed just the facts below for the purpose of making you aware and allowing you to come to your own conclusion.
Here are the facts about the hearing on October 22, 2015.
- The Benghazi committee is comprised of Republicans and Democrats all of whom appeared to defend or excoriate Secretary Clinton depending upon their political agenda. The only exception to this was Trey Gowdy, Chairman of the Committee, who laid it out in no uncertain terms that he was there to get the truth and was only concerned with just that.
- Ambassador Chris Stevens was assigned to the U. S. Embassy in Benghazi in May of 2012 following the death of former dictator Muammar Gaddafi in October of 2011, an event which was upheld by the current administration and supported by Hillary Clinton the then Secretary of State.
- The Benghazi incident occurred on September 11, 2012, exactly eleven years after our nation was decimated by a terrorist attack that left over 3,000 U.S. citizens dead and another 6,000 injured. Four Americans died in Benghazi, one of them the first Ambassador to lose his life since the 1970’s.
- Ambassador Chris Stevens and his staff reported numerous security issues prior to the time the embassy in Benghazi was attacked sending over 600 emails to Hillary Clinton. Clinton said she could not recall speaking to Stevens since he was sworn in as ambassador in May of 2012, four months before his death. Clinton stated under oath that there was never a recommendation from Stevens or anyone else to close the Benghazi Embassy.
- Hillary Clinton stated in her testimony that she could not be responsible for reading, interpreting or acting upon every security issue brought to her attention as Secretary of State. She stated she left that to the security professionals and to paraphrase, “I have lost more sleep over the happenings at Benghazi than all of the committee members put together”.
- Clinton faced the Benghazi congressional hearing with confidence and ease. She smiled when bolstered by Democrats and scowled with annoyance when questioned by Republicans. At one point she stated unequivocally, “I really don’t care what you say about me. It doesn’t bother me a bit.”
- At the time of the attack in Benghazi the re-election campaign for President Obama was in full swing using the common theme of “Bin Laden in dead and GM is alive”. The campaign was capitalizing on the idea that they brought down Bin Laden and therefore were tough on terror. Clinton of course was part of the administration at that time and thus part of the re-election effort.
- The Benghazi attack was blamed as a direct result of an anti-Muslim YouTube video and was stated as such by Clinton and the entire Obama Administration in the days and weeks following the incident. The administration repeatedly used these talking points when describing the attack on the embassy and the murder of four Americans.
- On the night of the Benghazi attack, Hillary Clinton wrote an email to her daughter which stated, “Two officers were killed today in Benghazi by an al Qaeda-like group” and the following day to the Egyptian Prime Minister, “We know the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack, not a protest.” When questioned as to whether the truth was kept from the American people as a means to avoid undercutting Obama’s re-election campaign, Hillary Clinton rejected the claim, saying in the desperate hours after the attack that information on the true nature of the assault on the compound by a mob was unclear. She gave no other explanation for the information relayed to the American people.
- During the final debate of 2012 election, Mitt Romney had ample opportunity to bring Benghazi into the conversation but did not. The majority of the American people were not aware of the complete story of Benghazi and its questions, thus it failed to play any part in speculation about the competence of the current administration and Barack Obama was easily re-elected.
What I have stated are just the facts and nothing more. The opinion of whether or not Hillary Clinton was incompetent or whether she is a liar is up to each American to decide for themselves.
One thing is certain, unless the current email debacle derails her candidacy, she will be the Democrat nominee for President of the United States in 2016. There are currently numerous Republicans vying for the nomination and the one who wins it may be a surprise to all of us. There is a very good chance that Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the United States.
Barack Obama declared when he took office that he would fundamentally transform the United States and he had done just that. We have to ask ourselves the question: is the transformation for the better?
Did it increase our prosperity and make America greater than it has ever been?
Are we strong enough to protect ourselves if we are attacked?
Have Obama’s policies left us more or less vulnerable to an attack like 911?
Is our nation more respected in the world today than it was eight years ago?
Are we satisfied that we are now a nation where 50% of the population is on some sort of government assistance?
We can easily say the spirit of derision and separation exists and is fostered by the current administration. My mother was a tried and true Democrat all her life but she wouldn’t accept the party as it is now. In fact, I think anyone over 60 would agree that we appear to have turned our backs on the values once upheld by our nation.
I believe in the good of the American people and I believe they just want the truth. We can live with mistakes that are acknowledged with accountability, but we can’t survive with dishonesty and destruction of our core values. In 2016 the American people will decide if they wish to follow the Obama road or choose to turn course and put the country on a track back to the Republic set forth in our Constitution.
What are the reasons we pledge allegiance to our flag and to our country?
Will we remain the home of the “free and the brave”. How will we remain whole as a nation?
That question is up to the American people. That question is up to you.
More commentary, writing tips and news, sign up for my newsletter here: Newsletter
Do you have your own email list? AWeber is a way to get started for $1.